Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Conference Tournament Diary

Despite some good intentions I have never written a damn thing on this blog. But my opportunity is coming. Early Thursday afternoon I am having a procedure that will to force me to spend a couple of days on the mend. Without going into graphic detail, lets just say it is an elective surgery that a guy's doctor is duty bound to tell him is irreversible, even though it usually is.
Anyways, based on some solid advice I received several years ago from a guy I don't remember, I timed this to coincide with the NCAA conference tournament weekend. Ideally, I would have done it a week later during the first two rounds of the big tournament, but we are going on spring break starting March 29th and I didn't want to chance not feeling well.
With apologies to people like Chuck Klosterman, who once watched VH1 Classic for 72 straight hours and wrote about the experience, I plan to keep a running diary of the Conference games, and do little else for as long I can convince my wife I am still convalescing. I have a hell of an excuse. Since I have never done this before, it may take a few hours to develop a rhythm, but I assume I'll post regularly from 3-midnight on Thursday and hopefully the entirety of Friday afternoon until the last game ends.
Depending on my comfort level, the quality of my posts, what kind of pain medication (if any) the doctor puts me on and whether I can handle more basketball, I may keep it going through the afternoon games on Saturday. There may be a selection show special thereafter.
Check back Thursday in the late afternoon for the first post. I'll hopefully start with the 3:15 est SEC game which will be Vanderbilt v. Auburn.
And yeah, I am aware that I've used the words "check back" although I am 100% certain that another human being has never read this.

2 comments:

Herzig Family said...

Scutch, You indeed are an individual of wit and I look forward to occasionally finding the time to waste and read your mind-dump about the tourny. When appropriate (and even when not appropriate), I'll chime in with a comment to help in your couch-based analysis.

Ron

abe yap said...

Scutch, I had a great post regarding your healing after your procedure. Then I found out I had to create an account just to post something on this silly thing. That was ridiculous.

Anyway, I think you should start with valium, move down to percocet, and finally work your way to Tylenol with codeine. Your posts should reflect which medicine you are on at the time of posting.

One helpful hint during your recovery. Some of the guys were talking about your procedure today in fact, unrelated to yours. One of them said he felt the most excruciating pain he has ever felt in his life, and then the doctor said, "Are you ready for the other one?" Just a passing thought. Convalesce well.