Monday, March 8, 2010

Monday Reset

Time to reset this puppy. I had a very busy end of the week at work and yesterday was almost completely shot, so I have not had much time to write on the blog. I cannot really remember what I did before about 4 p.m. on Saturday, but I know it wasn't writing.

With a lack of writing came a lack of accountability, and I did not have a good couple of days on the diet. Friday night I had the best of intentions. We went to Max and Erma's with some friends for dinner, and I ended up with a 543 calorie Hula Bowl, which consisted of a few pieces of chicken, one chunk of pineapple and some twigs. It was covered with some "light honey mustard" which resembled "edible honey mustard" in name only. I also had a small cup of soup, which was cheese based and probably not terribly healthy. Nonetheless, overall a very healthy dinner out considering it was a Friday night and considering it was, you know, me. I even got a fairly good workout in before we left.

I washed this conservative meal down with about 135 beers. So Friday night was a bust.

Saturday I woke up with both a hangover and some resolve. I also had a tennis match to play at 5 and had the dual challenge of trying to both feel better and not eat too much. This plays into my Four Ways theory of boozing.

One, liquor has calories. Empty, seldom filling, calories. Two, I tend to pay less attention to what I eat while drinking. Three, many a hangover has killed weekend workout plans. This stings, because I have so much more free time than during the week, count on getting two workouts in. Missing one is tantamont to eating 600-700 extra calories over the weekend. Finally, like others, I make the mistake of chasing a hangover with some awful food choices. How many times have you said, "I need some grease" when rocking a sore head? Everyone has done it. But truth be told, nothing you eat is very effective in combating a hangover. It isn't much more than a convenient excuse.

Anyway, I needed to feel better while continuing the great experiment. I did a good job of sticking to water and not overeating before the match. When I got done, I was so weak I could hardly stand up, and ended up eating about a 700 calorie snack after dinner, which basically destroyed Saturday.

Yesterday wasn't so bad, but not so good that I'm going to go into gory detail with you about everything. I also failed to exercise, which had nothing to do with a hangover and everything to do with a busy day. I probably walked a couple of miles going to the basketball game, but nothing else real useful.

So today was a reset. I had Kashi cereal for breakfast, and about 500 calories of no cheese or sour cream Qdoba tacos at lunch. I'm going to try eating in the office as the week progresses, having purchased some pseudo-Scutch friendly Lean Cuisine fare at the grocery yesterday.

No idea what I weigh today, though I was 241.5 yesterday morning.

Before I go, a program note. Before The Great Experiment, the only thing I've done on this blog of any note is a twice NCAA Men's Basketball conference tournament running diary. The tradition began in 2008 a couple of hours after I got snipped, and pretty much did nothing but pop percocet, drink bud light, watch basketball and type out silly posts on my laptop for 12 hours a day two days in a row. It was awesome. Last year I revised it on the conference tournament Friday, minus the sore balls and the drugs.

This year, I hope to do the running diary on the second day of the NCAA's (not the conference tournaments) on March 19th. My kids are off of school that day, and I've tentatively planned to stay home with them. The fine folks at Fayette County Public Schools picked one of the three days I most want to play hooky (First Thursday and Friday of the NCAAs and Oaks Day) and give me an excuse to stay home. All of this is not going to win me any father of the year awards, I understand. But someone at least has to be there to call the fire department in case they burn the house down. I'll do my solid parenting another day. Besides, my wife has made me promise to take them somewhere that morning. Barring something coming up workwise, this should pan out. Stay tuned.

Astute observers will note that The Great Experiment is set to end the same day. If you think this is coincidental, you don't know me very well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your uncle Scott will be at the final four. He also has ducats for the semi and finals at SEC, dirty dog!

Dave Zahniser said...

I think it was Bud Select in 2008, not Bud Light.

Scutch said...

It was Bud Select, you are dead right.